Saturday, October 3, 2009

progress update/ the two and some months before this started

These peaches are well on their way. I plan to have them ready for their first etch by monday & I have sketches for my next plate. I just have to acquire more copper. I think I will also work on drawings to be transferred to photolitho plates, as they are cheaper & I can do a few things a little bit bigger and still have the opportunity to incorporate repetition. My initial thought was to just create as many etchings as humanly possible over the course of this academic year, however, I forgot I have to eat too. BUT since I have a love for some nice plate tone, I don't exactly need the most gorgeous pieces of copper. I just need to be resourceful& I am an expert at being broke. it will be okay it will be okay.





I also was feeling minorly nostalgic/ panicking that I forgot how I almost died in at least 30 different cities. So I drew a partially inaccurate (those lines ain't highways) map of my adventure as an epic mooch. I drove (or rode when the boys felt the need to get behind the wheel) a big white van around the country with some dips into canada. Every night, they played a show & fed me & I had floor to sleep on & they put the gas in the van that was taking me everywhere.





I was searched by dogs and was fed cacahuates by a trans lady on the streets of el paso. I chased twelve boys through the jemez reservation in a rain storm and climbed a mountain. I watched the sunrise over lake champlain in vermont and swam in a river full of poisonous snakes in north carolina. OH and I saw the grave of a vampire in a confederate cemetery. oh and I met all the famous people.

all while promoting someone elses' work. We met so many who had propelled themselves around the country in a similar manner. Their art was feeding them (barely) and putting gas in their cars.

People only know what you are doing if you force them to see it. So why can't I do that? For what I am doing. I would have to tack myself onto something musical and the actual adventure would have to be after I am technically finished with my project. But I could begin planning it now. I should get myself into grad school first, though.

No comments: